Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Reading

A little late to the party I guess, but I decided to read Frank Viola's book about organic church.

I started it while away on holiday last week and I'll try to finish it in the next week, although moving house might just get in the way a bit. I really do need to become a bit more disciplined about reading again.

Anyway, if you've not read the book this might give you a flavour of what it's about:

The fact is, many of our present-day church practices are without scriptural merit. They are human-invented practices that are at odds with the organic nature of the church. They do not reflect the desire of Jesus Christ, nor do they express His headship nor His glorious personality (the very things that the church is called to bear). Instead, they reflect the enthronement of man’s ideas and traditions. And as a result, they smother the church’s native expression. Yet we justify them by our cut-and-paste hermeneutic.

No comments: