Sunday, September 20, 2009

A quiet Sunday afternoon

I believe that I can hear one our cats getting acquainted with Bill, the cat who lives next door. They appear to forming a choral society. Anne has found her iron, which means she is now ironing away while she watches a film on TV. For my part I fixed the drain for the washing machine and the catch that operates the micro-switch on the tumble dryer. She'd be lost without me!

We're settling into our new home quite nicely. I've just set up my new broadband provider (which reminds me of the need to cancel the other one) and I've also sorted out a few address changes for important things like the car insurance. Anne was organised enough to do that before we moved, I decided to wait until I couldn't get to the filing cabinet to get the details I needed!

The point of all this is that life is fairly normal for us, we're just in a different place. It's odd, I don't think that it's because we've moved so often that we're used to it. I actually do think it's a grace thing. I'm sure that a day will come when we settle down to our nice retirement location, but until then God seems to help us settle quickly wherever we are.

Some place of course feel much more like home than others, and that was certainly true of Cotton End, but Upminster is great. On Friday I met Anne at the station and as we walked home we talked about what we were going to eat for dinner. In the end we just picked a takeaway on the way home.

Church was good this morning and I'm really beginning to look forward to getting stuck in and getting to know everyone and figuring things out. The induction is coming up in a couple of weeks, so I need to get a plan sorted out, or at least something that looks like a plan. If you're coming, we're looking forward to seeing you there.

No comments: