Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wordlive

I've been receiving the RSS feed for SU's new Wordlive daily devotional for a few weeks now, I've decided to unsubscribe from the feed. Overall the idea is a good one and well done, but for me personally there was too much information arriving in my inbox on a daily basis. Anywhere between 8 and maybe 12 items would appear each morning. I found this too much, and ended up using the "Mark all as read" button just to clear my news-reader. It was as if the amount of data demanded that I got through quickly, which is more to do with how I'm wired up that SU has gone about the programme.

What I would have liked to have been able to do is to choose which elements I got as a feed. That way, I could limit myself to the daily reading, maybe the overview and the question of the day, putting to one side things like the reflective poem or the introduction etc. Separating the daily subject into discrete items is a good idea, but sending them all didn't help me engage with the text for the day. 

So I have to say that this devotional approach didn't help me. Thanks for the effort SU, but I think there's some work to be done.

No comments: