Saturday, October 02, 2010

Psalm 13

How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?

How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?

Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;

my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.

I will sing to the LORD,
for he has been good to me.

I don't know what David was facing when he wrote this psalm, but clearly things are not going well! He feels distanced from God, forgotten and unheard. Every day sounds like it is filled with negative thoughts and a sense of continual defeat at the hands of those who oppose him . He is desperate to see a way forward, to hear God's clear and certain call to a better future. He fears that if something doesn't change, if he doesn't gain some encouragement, then he will lose whatever fight he's facing.

But there is something that he remembers that he knows will sustain him in these difficult times. God's love never fails.

Once again we see that worship is always an appropriate response as David declares that he will sing to the Lord. Why? Because God has been good to him. David chooses to remember God's faithfulness.

No comments: