Monday, February 16, 2009

Music to my ears, wherever I go!

So, one of my Premium bonds came up. For those who are not familiar with these things, Premium Bonds were introduced by the UK government in the 1950's as a way to promote savings, although I can't quite see how that worked because yo are only ever guaranteed that your bond will be worth exactly what you paid for it when you bought it.

The thing is that unlike a lottery, where you buy a ticket in the hope of wining but lose your "stake", a Premium Bond can be cashed in any time. But while you have it, there's a monthly draw. A typical prize is £50 and if you have enough bonds you can generate a return similar to that of a Building Society account but without the tax liability. 

Anyway, one of my bonds came up and it was a nice surprise when the the envelope landed on the mat this morning. 

I decide to invest my winnings in an Airport Express for the lounge. This wonderful little gadget extends the range of my wireless network and allows me to plug my stereo (yes I still have one of those) into my iTunes library.

After a few minutes setting up, we now have a random selection of music playing in the lounge straight from the iMac on my desk. Brilliant!

It was always my intention eventually to put all my music on a hard drive and then to do this Express manoeuvre. What's more I can use another Express to boost the wireless network upstairs, and even to add the printer/copier in the dining room (there's nowhere else for it to sit).

It has to be said, Apple have some really neat solutions to problems you never thought you had until you saw the solution!

No comments: