Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Books, books, books

In common with many ministers and church leaders, I have a growing reading list. Among the top picks to read from by overfilled shelves are:

Visioneering by Andy Stanley. I've had this around for some time, but only dipped into it.

Total Church by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis, which arrived from the lovely folk at Amazon recently.

The Mind Map Book by Tony and Barry Buzan. I've become a fan of mind mapping over recent years. Although I don't follow the rules as laid down by Buzan, I think it would be good to read his thoughts and reasons for mapping the way he does. I use a version of mind mapping to prepare sermons and series of sermons, to map out church structures, to explore questions and vision. It is so much more versatile than the kind of linear way we were all taught to think in the 60's and 70's.

The Buzan Study Skills Handbook by Tony Buzan. I bought this for my daughter to help her with her university studies. When she's finished with it I'd like to read it. You're never to old to discover new things about how to learn effectively and study efficiently.

Intelligent Church by Steve Chalke. Well he's a baptist and the premise of the book looks right up my street!

Jesus through Middle Eastern eyes by Kenneth Bailey. A big and most probably a very thoughtful book. This could be my summer holiday read, or maybe sooner if I get inspired to take on its 400 pages.

So there you have it, my current growing list of books I want to read. There's a whole lot more on my Amazon wish list. And if your list is as long as mine, or even longer then remember the wisdom of Ecclesiastes: Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body. (12:12). And not to forget the words of Festus to Paul, "Your great learning is driving you insane." 

Oh dear, I fear I may already be well on the way!

No comments: