Tuesday, December 02, 2008

New Book

Some time ago I popped in to see one of my old tutors who happens to be Conrad Gempf the author of Jesus Asked: What he wanted to Know. We got talking about that book and he very kindly gave me a copy of this book Mealtime Habits of the Messiah.

It's finally made it to the top of my reading pile and I took it out for the afternoon to one of my favourite quite places and made a start on it. The forward by the late Rob Lacey and the introduction made me want to read the book all the way through right away. I like the way Conrad writes and this is a book that deserves very careful attention, not just a quick read on a cold Tuesday afternoon over a hot chocolate and a piece of tiffin.

The book centres around things that happened and stories Jesus told involving food. I have to say that I'd always been aware of the appearance of food in the Gospels but never really given it that much thought. This book has sparked my imagination in new ways and I'm enjoying the read.

In a couple of weeks I've got to talk about what it really means to follow Jesus and I think this book is going to really helpful in giving me some new trains of thought to follow. I was particularly struck by a comment about the kingdom of God and community. Much to think about.

No comments: