Monday, December 15, 2008

Grateful for the opportunity

Yesterday, Sunday 14th Dec., I got the opportunity to speak at Bromham Baptist Church. Bromham is a large village the other side of Bedford to where we are in Cotton End. The minister there is a good friend and a few weeks ago he called me and asked if I'd be available to do an "in depth" Bible Study on a topic of my choosing.

The topic we settled on was to look at what it means to be a fully devoted follower of Jesus, and I set about thinking how to answer that question without simply searching out Biblical support for the kind of thing evangelicals would naturally associate with discipleship. I wanted to try to get behind the models and patterns with which we are so familiar.

In the end the talk was a bit too long, and having delivered it once, I now have a better idea of how I would structure it to deliver the same content but in slightly more logical order. But I really enjoyed the opportunity and the challenge of doing some bigger picture thinking in this area. Discipleship remains a passion for me, and I only wish I were more personally disciplined in my approach to following Jesus.

As I review my notes, I think I'll try to blog the ideas and questions.

No comments: