Thursday, December 25, 2008

Getting just what I wanted

The one thing I make sure about when it comes to my journal is that I always use a fountain pen when I write. There's something special that I still love about the feel of using a proper pen with ink. I think it began with trying to make writing in my journal special, but now I think it's also connected with the unhurried way you, or at least I, write with ink.

I can scrawl in ink, but I try to be a little more careful. My handwriting isn't the best it could be, but I was surprised to be complimented recently when I had to sign in a a local civic building. Perhaps it's better than I imagine!

So I was thrilled to open my Christmas presents this morning to find among them a nice new Sheaffer pen. Okay so I chose it a little while ago, but it was so nice to actually pick it and write with it.

It replaces a very serviceable Parker pen that I've been using for the last 6 or 7 years, and all the Parker pens I've used since I can remember. When I was growing up a Sheaffer pen was the pen to which one aspired. The Sheaffer is somewhat heavier than the Parker, but the Parker has always been trouble free and I see no reason simply to stop using it now I have my smart new Prelude in matt black with gold trim.

Anyway, if you're not a fountain pen person then you're probably wondering what all the fuss is about. But if you are, you'll understand why I'm so pleased to have the pen I've now got. Now all I have to do is find something worth writing about!

No comments: