Monday, November 27, 2006

The Wonder of God's Mercy (2)

Recently David posted this comment on a previous entry:

I loved your blog, and I think it's a good conversation starter. I was wondering if you knew any Bible verses that back up that "grace is getting what you don't deserve."

The reason I ask, is that the Bible doesn't seem to back up that definition of grace too well. It seems more like grace is a characteristic of God rather than simply something He grants. In other words- Grace is the reason God does what He does (and that includes both justice and mercy).


I've been giving this some thought, and the bottom line is I don't have a verse, but I do the bible. Now I don't mean to sound arrogant or clever, but my point is this: I think the Bible supports this as a definition of grace, just as it supports the definition of mercy and justice. Actually the three part definition of justice, mercy and grace are meant to take us on a journey.

When you hear people talk about the outcome of some trial or court-case they talk about justice. They talk about the offender getting what he or she deserves, or more commonly that they don't. Every time a police officer is killed, there are those who call for the return of the death penalty in the UK. Or every time there is a case involving children or drunk drivers. We want to see justice.

But now put yourself in the position of standing before God. Do you want justice for yourself? Do you want to get what you deserve for everything, and I mean everything you've ever done?now? Didn't think so.

So we look for mercy. Mercy knows you've been speeding, but lets you off with a warning to slow down rather than a ticket. I guess it's what we call discretion when dealing in human affairs. Mercy says, "I forgive you", but that's as far as it goes.

Both of these are character traits of God, but the best is yet to come. Not only does God always act justly (no room to say, "That's not fair"), but he is merciful too. But there's more and that's where grace comes into it.

Not only does God forgive us but he gives us more than we bargained for. To be forgiven is one thing, to be showered with his love, that's something else. He forgives and he restores. He forgives and he reinstates.

So no, I don't suppose I could point to a single verse that defines grace as "getting what we don't deserve", but I think this is truly the heart of the good news both about Jesus and the good news that Jesus is in himself.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I read your earlier blog about the men of Issachar and wanted to leave you this message. I too have been wondering about the men of Issachar. Read this: http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/2684.htm As a young leader of a group of young adults I want to encourage you that I recognise these qualities in the people that God has put around me. We have a heart to see the Church return to its roots in Acts, to rise up and to truly be the body of Christ. God is on the move and He is wanting His people to say "yes" that they will go anywhere and do anything that He asks of them! I dont want to limit this to just young people though. The infectious passion for Jesus transcends boundaries of age, culture and race! Praise God for the fearless warriors which want to advance His Kingdom. "From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it." Matt 11:12
God bless you!