Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Video killed the radio star

Okay so I'm no star and unless you are my generation you will have to use google to work out the reference of the title of this post, but every post needs a title!

Part of my current role as a minister is to act as the moderator for another nearby Baptist Church while they have no minister of their own. Given the baptist principle of the priesthood of all believers it seems a bit strange to have this position, but if it helps I'm happy to serve.

Anyway, they've been struggling to get preachers for Sunday services so I've stepped in and done several on video for them. It's been an interesting experience for everyone! For me it's meant preparing a sermon and the delivering it to an empty church whilst recording it on video. This has been quite a challenge. I've actually imagined the congregation being there and preached to them rather than doing it simply to camera.

I've then had to capture and edit the video and then create a final cut to hand over to the church for use. I'd say it's taken on average a day to preach, edit and produce one 30-40 minute talk. That doesn't include preparing the talk which I guess takes me around 10 to 15 hours. It's really hard to say because I don't just sit down and do it in one go, but I wander around with the idea in my head for days. I jot stuff down in a notebook and on my computer(s) (I'm really looking forward to Scrybe going live and giving it a go).

So, overall it's been quite draining for me personally, but what has it meant to the congregation that sits and watches a video rather than a live preacher? Well, they've actually enjoyed it. Once they got use to the idea that I was on the screen rather than there in person, it seems to have gone down rather well.

It's not a massively slick process yet, but I'm beginning to think that this could serve us well as God moves us towards the possibilities of multi-site church. Often we think we just don't have the resources to service such an endeavour, but maybe we are wrong. The church that's used the videos has live worship and live everything else apart from the message. We're even thinking that this is a way that I can preach there once a month without having to be there every month, just maybe every three months. This isn't because I don't want to go, it's just the reality of trying to serve two congregations.

Anyway, if you're in a similar situation, or even if you need to tap into some resources, try looking at a video series, it might work for you too. And if you want to video yourself, then with a simple DV camera and the right software, it's not that difficult to make it yourself. I'm off to my dressing room for a lie down and a massage!

No comments: