Friday, November 03, 2006

Palaces and kings

I wrote a post a little while ago about a verse about palaces and kings. You may not have noticed, I didn't, that I'd missed a "not" from the title. This is not without precedent, who hasn't heard the story of the Bible printed without the "not" in the commandments?

Anyway, without the "not" it read A Beautiful palace does make a great king! Of course it should have read:

A beautiful palace does not make a great king!

Now it makes more sense.

Of course, if you're like me you may well have read the title correctly because you knew it only made sense with the "not" in it. It's just one of those things that happens when you type. It puts me in mind of something that happened during my probationer years as a Baptist minister.

Because I didn't go to a Baptist college there were a few extra hoops for me to jump through before I could become an accredited minister. One of these hoops involved studying Baptist history and principles. Having completed the required study I wrote to my college supervisor about it all and meant to say...

Sitting the exams and doing the denominational studies was not really a bad experience.

Unfortunately I once again missed out the required "not". But I didn't realise that at the time, and was very confused when my supervisor said she thought it was important that we sat and talked about this experience. It was only two years later when I changed supervisor (my original supervisor moved away, not my fault I hasten to add!), that I reread our correspondence and realised my mistake. Hastily I wrote to my new supervisor to let him know about the error before I found myself referred to the minister's counselling service!

I wonder what word might be missing from this post?

PS I've corrected the title of the previous post in case you've just looked and wondered what I thought I'd missed!

No comments: