Thursday, November 23, 2006

Advent 2006

In the past I've probably been guilty of making too little of advent. After 15 years in ministry, coming up with another Christmas service let alone four weeks of Christmas themed services, gets a little harder. It was a few years ago now that I decided personally to make more of advent.

I made this decision because I thought it honoured the church and the story to give it more time. All the stuff of a commercial Christmas squeezes the story into the smallest space possible, and we, I was guilty of doing that at church too. So now we have advent. Maybe not an advent that everyone would recognise, but we give ourselves time to appreciate the wonder of God's story.

Over the four weeks leading up to Christmas we'll sing Christmas songs as part of our worship, we'll share aspects of the story and we'll build up to our carol service instead of rushing headlong towards it. At least that's my hope. Our theme this year is: God's unlimited love. Here's our Christmas invitation.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I hope you have a great advent too, and your expereince of God's unlimited love is deepened over the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great entry. I am hosting a celebration of advent devotionals as my gospelfiction dot com website and on my christian fiction blog. This year my heart is calling me to look at Christmastime in a more sacred light. Thanks for the wonderful theme idea.

charlesandginny said...

thank you so much for sharing. As an adult i have not gone to church but when i was a child i would go every now and then.Since being married and having three step sons i love as my own i have been reading them the bible and teaching them about everything.I truly had never heard of advent until i had bought a christian book from a church down where i live. I had a horrible feeling in my stomach all these years i had been celebrating christmas wrong. Slowly i have been teaching my children about advent, two are special needs but they get the just of it. We are looking forward to lighting the first candle today and saying all the readings together. I have talked to some friends who go to church and they barely knew anything about advent, i actually knew more then them and i just learned from online and some books i have. I do love the internet i have been able to find alot of things my family and i can do together to celebrate advent and many other holidays. Though i do plan on finding a church down here for us and finally get back to going again :)