Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Perplexed and concerned

As I watch the events unfold in Lebanon and Israel, I can't help but wonder about where it all fits. I know Christians who are strong supporters of Israel and I don't want to cause offense, but it bothers me that the evangelical community seems unwilling to challenge Israel in almost any circumstance.

The political situation in Palestine is volatile and complicated. I know that. I know that Israel suffers attacks from all sides too, but I'm not sure that justifies what I see on the news in these days as Southern Lebanon is bombarded from the air and from the ground. While we argue about the theological implications of the State of Israel, and wonder why other countries continue to supply arms to both sides, people are dying. Violence begets more violence and the innocent seem to suffer most.

Has our theology of Israel in some way contributed to the problems? Have we unwittingly given credence to a skewed view of what is right and wrong for the Middle East?

And still the innocent suffer.

For all those verses in the Bible that speak powerfully and profoundly about the place Israel and the people of Israel have in the heart of God, it also speaks boldly about responsibility too.

As I casually read Habbakuk again this last week (I was looking to put to a particular verse into it's wider context) I came across this comment from the prophet.

The violence you have done to Lebanon will overwhelm you and your destruction of animals will terrify you. For you have shed human blood; you have destroyed lands and cities and everyone in them. Hab.2:17

No comments: