Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The men of Issachar again

I asked some time ago where the men of Issachar had got to, and I'm still wondering about it. Like fellow blogger Jeff Noble, I'd like to be one if only I could figure out what it means to be a man of Issachar.

If you remember, they understood the times and knew what Israel should do.

To be a modern-day man of Issachar may not relate to making political decisions (the context of the OT verse), but maybe it does. Maybe it's time we thought less about whether we elect the right Christians to office and more about whether we are electing people who can understand the times and act accordingly.

Anyway, when I began thinking about men of Issachar, I was thinking primarily about the church and the need to understand the times and act accordingly as God's people as we seek to bring his message of hope and transformation to a world desperately in need of both.

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still thinking about it, and while I'm thinking about it, here's a description of someone who might fit the bill.

Ezra had determined to study and obey the law of the Lord and to teach those laws and regulations to the people of Israel. (Ezra 7:10)

According to the context, this was the reason that the gracious hand of his God was with him.

No comments: