Thursday, November 04, 2010

Tennis and church

I took a big step this morning. It might seem like a small thing to some, but to me it was quite a big step. It began with a chance conversation with someone a few weeks ago. Somehow we got talking about tennis and I said how I'd been thinking about learning to play. I dabbled a bit when I was younger, but I never took it seriously.

This chance conversation led to a one-off lesson to look at the basics, and from there came the thought of taking it further. So, on Monday I wandered down the the tennis club, warily wondering who might be there and what kind of people I might meet.

I meet two people doing some gardening and the outcome of this encounter was an invitation to join them on Thursday morning when they have a social tennis session.

So Thursday came and I sat at home wondering if I should go. What if I was so bad that it was embarrassing? What if they were so good that I never managed to hit a ball? What if they didn't like new people? Maybe I should have some proper lessons and practice first before going on court with people who know what they are doing.

I needn't have worried. I was made welcome, managed to hit the ball and even managed to get a few serves in play. I had a good time. I think I might go back, take some lessons, play more, even join the club.

Walking down the drive to the club, introducing myself, putting myself in the middle of unfamiliar things is reminiscent of what it must be like for someone who goes to church for the first time.

The parallels are clear. And if I felt tis nervous and unsure just going to play tennis, then how must the new church-goer feel the first time they set foot inside our buildings?

I learnt a lot of things today!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: