Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Signs

I saw a great sign in the car park of a local hospital today. I meant to take a picture on my way out, but forgot to do so. The sign read as follows:

Parking for staff and visitors only


So who else might be going to a hospital? Patients perhaps, or more likely it's for all those people who might park there and then catch the bus to the station. So it undoubtedly has a meaning beyond the obvious, but I still thought it was one of those signs that required a second look and a bit of thought.

John's gospel is the gospel of signs, things, events that point beyond themselves to something greater, something more significant.

The miracles were not just clever tricks, they were indicators that the kingdom of God was among the people and things were different.

Many people saw the signs but missed their significance.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: