Thursday, January 08, 2009

Walking to work

Because I live on the same site as the church, even if I commuted to a church office, it would only be 30 seconds. And that's walking slowly! As it is, I work mostly from home, so my longest commute is all the way from the lounge to the study. About 6 feet.

So, every so often, when I get the chance and the urge, I'll walk to a meeting somewhere. When we have our Christmas lunch as a Mainstream group, I've walked there the last couple of years. 

I once heard an elderly gentleman, in his 70's at the time, answering a question about how he kept himself fit. "Simple," he said, "if it's less than 5 miles, I walk." In our busy modern lives I'm not sure any of us would consider walking 5 miles a good use of our time. But we all know that we need to get more movement into our lives. 

So today I chose to walk the 4 miles to my meeting and the 4 miles back. What was interesting is that I met a member of the church who was walking their dog on my way home, and I joined them for their walk. It added a couple of miles to my walk, and wouldn't have happened had I been in the car.

In the end I did just about 10 miles. My feet ache, my knee aches and I've got work to do that I could have been doing if I'd driven to my meeting. But it was worth it. I got some air, a lot of air, and I slowed down (although I left a bit late and had to do the first 4 mile section in an hour). And the world has not stopped turning because I didn't rush from one thing to the next.

And, if I feel the benefit of a 10 mile walk once a week that I felt 2 years ago, I'll be 15-20lbs lighter in a month's time!

Well, I can always dream!

2 comments:

Judith said...

I've been a Salvation Army Officer since 1985 and would walk or bus everywhere BUT then 10 years ago I passed my driving test and low and behold the walking days were over. However, the other day I decided to walk to a place and marvelled at the number of people I met and chatted too. Like you have also made the note to walk more often but I'm not sure about your gentlemans 5mile theory!! Judith

Richard said...

Hello Judith, nice to have you along for the walk!

My problem is that being in a village, I'm already 3 miles from any meeting that isn't in my house before I start!

Hope your walking goes well!