Thursday, April 10, 2008

Weary traveller returns home

Okay, so I was only away for one night, but the way things pile up around here I felt as if I'd been gone a month! I was actually in Nottingham, the family home (on my side of the family that is), performing the funeral of my sister's mother-in-law. 

These are somewhat strange occasions, mostly because I know a lot of the congregation, they are my family after all, but they are not the church family. Seeing them all sitting there takes a little getting used to. It was strange too being back in the crematorium chapel where I did my father's funeral a few years ago.

After the funeral I called in on Phil and Erica. Phil is another church leader committed to working out this outward focused thing, and it's always good to talk with with a fellow traveller. And then it was the drive back down the M1. It's not a long journey, but at the end of that kind of day it's far enough. Perhaps it was the toll of the day, perhaps my advancing years, but I felt the weariness of driving all too quickly and pulled off the motorway to give my brain a rest as much as anything else. Given that it's only two hours, it was odd to have to stop like this. 

When I got home, there were messages on the answering machine, emails and post. It's taken me until 11:00am this morning to even feel as if I've caught up with it let alone get to a place of control over it. So it was a pleasure to catch up with Jeff Noble's blog and read his post about GTD and David Allen's book. It gave me a renewed hope that all it takes is a little self-disciple and organisation will come, serenity and stress-relief is only a few steps away!

With that in mind I have emptied my email inbox and the desk is next on the hit list along with my weekly review. 

Here's to a more organised life in leadership and ministry.

2 comments:

Phil St said...

Richard, it was great to be able to catch up with you too and thanks for makink the time to do so. I'll pass no comments on advancing age etc but we are glad you got back safe & sound and yes my experience of travelling (even though I don't tend to do the driving!) is that it often leaves you much more tired than you ever think it's going to!!

Anonymous said...

I need to be thanking you! When I sent you those emails last year inquiring about the process, I knew it would take me a while to get motivated, but the last 3-4 months have been ones of increasing productivity and decreasing mental chaos.

Many thanks.

BTW, although I bought Omnifocus, if I had to do it again, I might try Things... It looks very promising.