Monday, April 14, 2008

Information organising

I've blogged before about Scrivener as a tool for organising thoughts and sermons etc, but I'm still looking at ways to gather together information from a variety of sources. Actually you can do this with Scrivener if you wish too, but there is an alternative or three.

Jeff Noble pointed me towards two possibilities, KIT, now called Together and Yojimbo. A third possibility that I'm playing with at the moment is Notebook from Circus Ponies.

Notebook looks just like, well a notebook. You can insert pages and dividers to organise your data, and you can use the OS X services via Safari to clip information to your notebooks.

Another clipping style application is iClip. And I'm pretty sure there are others out there too.

When I was a PC user, I used Surfulater to group data together. I found it a very useful application and if it were available for the Mac, I'd probably still be using it.

Of all the Mac applications I'm trying, Yojimbo has won out over Together, but I would have liked a longer run at Together to get a real feel for it. 15 days is just not long enough in my time-pressed world.

I use iClip to grab bits of data quickly that I may want later. In essence I use it like a glorified clipboard to drag and drop stuff in outlines and documents.

If I didn't already use Scrivener quite a lot, I might be tempted by Notebook. It has a nice feel to it and I like the auto-indexing feature. I'll explore it further and see if it offers me something the others don't.

No comments: