Sunday, April 13, 2008

Keeping on, keeping on

Tomorrow I'm meeting with a father to plan the funeral for his teenage son. This 16 year-old boy was knocked of his bicycle and killed a couple of weeks ago. As I sat with him a few days ago we remembered how we'd met in January and talked about the tragic loss of another teenager for whom I also did the funeral. Neither of us would have dreamt that we would be sitting together doing the same for his son. Why would we?

When I have my days when I wonder why I keep doing what I do, I think about the privilege that comes with serving people in situations like these. It seems to me that in a crisis such as this, the church can express what it truly is about. It can demonstrate the love, grace and forgiveness of God to hurting, dazed and confused people. It can take the opportunity to express that for which we stand rather than that to which we are opposed. 

I hope that through our ministry many people in our community will be touched by the hope that comes with the gospel of Jesus Christ. I remember reading three of Jurgen Moltmann's books at college. One of the ideas that struck a chord with me was the concept of the kingdom of God breaking into our present reality and bringing with it all the hope that it carries.

Having just returned from Spring Harvest which followed the theme "One Hope", and having just performed a funeral in my own family, I hope that God's hope penetrates Friday's funeral. Personally I can't think of a better message to present than the hope that death is not the defining event of life.

No comments: