Tuesday, July 06, 2010

The church. What's it all about?

I'm off to do a funeral in an hour, one of the privileges of ministry. It's never easy, and the older I get the more I feel as if there must be someone better equipped to do it than me! I thinks it's the ministry equivalent of golfing yips, the involuntary movement that creeps into your putting stroke and ruins your game. Just ask Berhard Langer!

Anyway, before I go I've been working on trying to get done on paper some thoughts about the church, its mission and purpose. Stuff about vision and structures and strategies. No easy task, I can assure you.

Currently I'm looking at a pile of 16 books and a dining table covered in post-it notes with ideas and thoughts scribbled on them. Sometimes it feels like I'm trying to translate a book from a language I don't know using only a dictionary. But I persevere.

My journey with the church and the mission of God began to take shape when I wrote a paper for my theology degree. It was my attempt to look at what Jesus had called the church to do and how we could realign ourselves with his commission. I wasn't very successful at answer the question I really wanted to ask, and I'd like to go back and rework that essay using some of what I've learned since.

So in a sense I guess that is what I'm trying to do. It's just going to take some time to get it out of my head and onto paper, electronic and wood based!

At least I'm putting my iPad to good use!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: