Saturday, August 01, 2009

The Joy of Moving

So it's now August and that means 6 weeks to moving day. There's so much to sort out, but at least we are working through the house room by room looking at what's going and what's not. So far I've sold my Palm PDA on eBay and my golf clubs are up for sale. I gave up playing a few years ago and it just seemed like a good time finally to say good-bye to them.

Hopefully they'll be sold by Monday and then there are a few other items I might submit to the auction world. I've found a Marshall effects pedal and a few more golf things like my bag and a bag stand. Even my old trolley might be worth something.

We've had a few trips to the tidy tip to get rid of some stuff and I think there will be one or two more trips to the charity shop and tip in the next few weeks.

Decluttering is a great feeling and apparently a lucrative business if you've got something to offer to anyone who is living a cluttered life and needs a little help. I've always thought, but found it hard to practice, a regular routine of three-monthly sort outs would be a good thing. I think it's because as the pile of things to go gets bigger it gets harder to add to it. Eventually you start keeping stuff because you can't conceive of getting rid of it all. So by doing it every three months you might actually get rid of more rubbish a year than you do by having a annual purge.

It's a theory.

So, as I look around my study and contemplate a day sorting out this room, a positively frightening thought, I'm looking forward to having less and hoping to find a home for many items marked "no longer needed". Which reminds me, if anyone needs an old Nokia charger, I've got three on my shelf that I don't know what to do with!

No comments: