Thursday, May 07, 2009

My first lathe project

Today I have to say a big thank you to David's grandfather for letting me try my hand at wood turning on his lathe. (David is Ally's fiance... did I mention they got engaged a few weeks ago).

Anyway, back to the important stuff, my wood turning. The bowl would have been a bit bigger, but I managed to tear a lump out of the edge, so it shrank! The wood is cherry and the finish is wax.

It is quite an intense experience for a beginner. Learning to control the various shaping tools needs concentration but relaxed hands and wrists. I'm certainly game for another go!

Mind you, I think I'm probably not quite ready for mass production, and maybe a hand turned wedding present for Ally is a long way off. And anyway, I suspect David's grandfather will have first dibs on that project!

1 comment:

darmilatron said...

Job well done there :)