Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Is this what it's come to?

I find myself wondering about the sorry state of affairs at Westminster. It seems that we have apparently been guilty of electing a significant number of MP's who are incapable of taking responsibility for their actions.

As I read in the paper this morning about the need for Gordon Brown to "sack this 'dead speaker'" I wondered to myself  if this wasn't an exercise in shifting the blame. It looks to me like a group of kids caught with their hands in the proverbial cookie jar passing the buck down the line. 

And now we have calls for a general election, as if an election is going to fix the problem.

I know some good MP's. I trust them to act ethically and morally and have no doubt that they do. But I despair at those who are looking to blame someone else for not stopping them doing what any thinking person might have suspected to be unjustifiable even if it fell within the famous rules.

I wish Michael Martin well in the future (I've just heard he's announced he's stepping down), and I hope MP's will not think this is the end of a very sorry tale of greed and abuse.

No comments: