Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Continuing ruminations on a new systematic theology

I was wondering what the basis for this "new" systematic theology might be. Where would you begin to develop a new approach or at the very least an alternative structure for it? 

Perhaps a missional systematic theology is what is needed.  Something that takes seriously the missionary nature of God and builds around that as a core concept. Then I got to thinking about a sermon I preached last year about mission and remembered the little mantra that arose from it: Christ, mission, church. 

In other words, our Christology drives our missiology which in turn drives our ecclessiology. The problem with this is where do you fit some of the important issues like the doctrine of Scripture or of man.

Maybe Alan Hirsch's Forgotten Ways, or Michael Frost's Exiles or even Brian McLaren's Everything must change, are all more systematic that you might think at first glance. Maybe our job is to think them through in a systematic way.

Oh dear, I think I'm falling under the influence of organised thought. It may be too late for me, but save yourselves!

No comments: