Sunday, January 20, 2008

When God turns up at church

Ministry has a lot of pressures. I don't know if it's the pressures or just the way I'm wired but I'm not given to "feeling God's presence" in worship. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesn't matter or denying the reality of another person's experience. It's just that personally I don't have to feel him there to engage in worship. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
Anyway, I have to say that this morning at church there was a tangible sense of God meeting with us. Maybe it was the heartfelt prayer of a visitor with us, or the natural flow of the worship, but I'd have to say that God made himself known this morning and I'm glad he did.

3 comments:

Colin said...

Sounds as though it would be an understatement to suggest things have been challenging in the past month or so...reading your other recent posts

But maybe today was one of those "Footprints in the sand" moments...I'm sure you know the poem...but maybe when you're noramlly leading or nudging people through worship...perhaps God's presence is more obvious to others looking on...I know the panto season has come to an end but as you stand at the front perhaps someone occassionaly needs to shout out "he's behind you!"

I pray that you and your church family will continue to feel his presence, particularly at this time of need.

Richard said...

Thanks Colin, the encouragement is much appreciated

Colin said...

Your welcome...

Incidentally - I just finished a major piece of work and was surfing to clear my head...while I was checking out some links on blogs I read, you never know what interesting stuff you might find. But I found that one of yours currently points to a site that you probably don't mean it to - you might want to sort out the link to ordinary attempts from you blog...if the site you intended still exists, I'm assuming it's not the one that operates from that domain name now.

Feel free to delete this comment so there isn't a reference for others to fall over...just thought you'd want to know.