Saturday, January 26, 2008

Of dates and calendars

Had a busy time of late working out (playing with) ways to integrate my calendars between my Mac and Google calendars. There is a practical application to this inasmuch as I have a church calendar on my Mac and one in Google calendar. Rather than enter the data twice, I'm using a trial version of Spanning Sync to keep them up-to-date, only having to enter data in one place. 

This kind of functionality makes life a lot more simple.
There is an outstanding issue with Spanning Sync and Leopard, but I'm sure that will get resolved at some point.

If you're a windows user, and you are using a compatible version, there's a piece of software available that will synchronise Outlook and Google Calendars called gsyncit

There are undoubtedly other ways to do this kind of thing, but we're experimenting with Google Calendars in order to enable everyone at church that uses the web to connect with current events.

Something I found for Mac users is a dashboard widget that lets you put your Google calendar on your dashboard. You need the xml for your chosen calendar, and you can have more than one online calendar listed.
The widget can be downloaded from the Apple website:

No comments: