Thursday, July 19, 2007

Leaving school

Today I acted in my capacity of chair of governors at the local school. I had to give out the presentation gifts to the children who are leaving us this year to go on to their next school. I was also asked to do a little talk.

My talk was very simple, and short, and based around two quotes which I think are helpful reminders to me about who I am and what I do. The first was this:

God does not make junk. (Ethel Waters)

Rick Warren quotes this in The Purpose Driven Life. What I like about this thought is that it reminds me how special and precious and individual I am in God's sight. When I'm tempted to think the very least of myself, I remember this quote and remind myself that whilst I'm far from perfect I'm not junk.

The second quote comes from Jim Wallis.

Find out what you do best, and do it in a way that makes a difference.

Ah, I hear you say, if only I knew what I did best!

I know the feeling, but the more I share thoughts and ideas with other people, the more I interact with them, the more I'm beginning to understand what I do best. It's quite a long process and it takes courage, I think, to stick with it and learn all you can about how God has shaped and prepared you for what you do best.

So if you're struggling a bit at the moment, remember that you are not junk, that you were made with a purpose in mind and there is something you do that only you do and it makes a difference because you do it.

No comments: