Thursday, February 22, 2007

Looking for unity

There is a well known phrase drawn from the Old Testament that goes something like this:

Where brothers (and sisters) live together in harmony, that's where God commands a blessing.

It comes from Psalm 133, but, as I far as I know, it's not a verse form the Bible although it's often quoted as such. I've searched in as many ways as i can, and as ever I have this nagging thought that I've missed something, but as I said, as far as can tell it's not a direct quote.

That's not the point though. The point is that in-fighting in the church has to stop. There is too much at stake. The world needs a better example of problem solving and difference resolution than we currently give it.

We are one, church. We share one faith, one Lord, one baptism. Now I know how hard that is to accept, but it's the truth.

I've just read a blog entry outlining a talk given by Thom Rainer, and he speaks powerfully about the choices we need to make to work towards a better unity in the church. I know he's speaking from the perspective of the SBC, but surely it goes beyond our narrow denominational boundaries too.

Here is his list of commitments. I know nothing about the first one, but everything after that is a challenge!

Though I am a fallible and sinful person, I will seek God’s power to stay true to the following:

1. I stand firm on the inerrant Word of God. I support without reservation the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.

2. Though I may disagree with some on secondary and tertiary issues, I will not let those points of disagreement tear down bridges of relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ.

3. I will seek to join with those who will work together on the common causes of missions, evangelism and the health of the local church.

4. I will seek God’s will in prayer before I write or speak a word of disagreement against another brother or sister in Christ or even a non-Christian. I will seek to see the plank in my own eye before pointing out the splinter in another person’s eye. I will follow the truths of Matthew 18 when I feel that I need to confront a brother or sister in Christ.

5. I will spend more time rejoicing in the Lord (Phil 4:4).

6. I will seek God’s power to have a more gentle and Christlike spirit (Phil 4:5).

7. I will pray that the lost and the unchurched world will know me by my Christlike love.

Such is my commitment.

If God so leads, I invite you to join me in building bridges.

No comments: