Saturday, June 17, 2006

Jesus loves the church. Honest!

When we first came across a song the first line of which was Jesus loves the church, I thought it was a bit twee to say the least. But I then realised that the real struggle I had was with the truth behind the song. Jesus really does love the church. The struggle arises because there are times when I am not so inclined.

So I prayed, and asked God to help me love the people he loves, to love the church he loves and commit myself to the church as he has always done. It's a work in progress.

Here's a quote for fellow lovers:


There is nothing like the local church when it is working right. Its beauty is indescribable. Its power is breathtaking. Its potential is unlimited. It comforts the grieving and heals the broken in the context of community. It builds bridges to seekers and offers truth to the confused. It provides resources for those in need and opens its arms to the forgotten, the downtrodden, the disillusioned. It breaks the chains of addiction, frees the oppressed, and offers belonging to the marginalized of this world. Whatever the capacity for human suffering, the church has a greater capacity for healing and wholeness... No other organization on earth is like the church. Nothing even comes close.

Bill Hybels Courageous Leadership

No comments: