Thursday, June 22, 2006

The church of my dreams

Part of the process of putting big picture into small boxes for me is to dream. Some time ago a colleague sent me something that began We dream of a church... It was from a church in Texas, Irvine I think. Anyway it got me thinking, and for what it's worth this is my work-in-progress dream of church.

As I think about the future my dream, my vision is for a church that is actively meeting the needs of those within the church and those beyond the church.

I dream of a church with a wide diversity of ministries balanced between spiritual and practical (although I'm not trying to suggest that something spiritual is not practical or the other way around).


I dream of a church that is growing in a sustainable way and a church that is always thinking creatively about how it can touch the wider community through kindness and in service, and open the door to a clear and compelling invitation to respond to God's love shown through Jesus Christ.

I dream of a church that is willing to take Holy Spirit inspired risks in order to make a difference in the communities it serves.

I dream of a church of radical believers who live wholeheartedly for Jesus Christ and will do whatever it takes to drive back the kingdom of darkness and usher in the reign of Christ.

No comments: