Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wedges and sticks

I've just read an article in The Baptist Times which tries, reasonably successfully, to set out both sides of the protest or not protest argument. The problem is that it becomes a choice... in the blue corner we have the EA and in the red corner Faithworks.

Part of the EA argument is that this is the thin end of the wedge. What wedge is that? Is this a prophetic statement or the worried reaction of nervous Christians?

And what if it becomes costly to be a Christian? What if we might end up in prison for holding fast to our principles? It happens elsewhere in the world, why should we have such high expectations that we have some sort of right not to suffer?

I know that the main thrust of the argument is that the proposed law lacks clarity and there are fears that while it is supposed to "protect" the rights of faith groups, it is in fact far from clear how that will work in practice. But I can't help worrying about some of the interviews I've seen and heard with those who would protest.

A few years ago, when I was last on sabbatical (which reminds me that it's time I was again), I went to visit a good friend of mine who happens to be a single, male Methodist minister. As part of my visit we planned to go to Lindisfarne for a couple of nights. The only room available was a twin room. In the current climate, I wonder if the owners of a Christian guest house would turn my Methodist friend and myself away if we asked for a twin room for fear of what we might get up to?

No comments: