Thursday, October 05, 2006

Do you love them enough to laugh with them?

Last weekend I went with several members of our leadership team to the Global Leadership Summit, a Willow Creek Association event that happens every year. I think this is the second year that it has been done in the UK using DVD's of the talks and interviews.

I loved the live event when I went to Chicago in 2004 and I was thrilled that my leadership team were interested in going to the UK event. It was worth the effort, and the discomfort of a sore neck, to listen to some great talks and some fascinating interviews. I can't imagine any other evangelical organisation having the guts to invite non-Christians to speak at an event on the basis that they had something to say that we needed to hear. I know that the Summit is aimed at a wide cross-section of people, but it is unashamedly Christian throughout it's presentation. I'm glad they have the courage to do what they do, and if you get the chance to go next year (it will be around the same time) then go. It's worth the effort.

Anyway, praising the summit is not the purpose of this post, it's a by-product.

What intrigued me happened during an interview session between Bill Hybels and Jim Collins, best known for Good to Great and Built to Last, two books I haven't read. The interview was great and our leadership team had a lot to talk about afterwards. What was really interesting too, beyond the actual content, was the relationship Bill Hybles has developed with Jim Collins.

Early on in the discussion Bill says to Jim, "You're sounding more Christian every-time I hear you speak." Later he talks about Jim Collins' spiritual journey and how he has great hopes that he will find his way into God's hands. Now under other circumstances this would be awkward and over the top, but they just seem to have such a great relationship that Bill Hybels can tell Jim Collins how much he's praying for him, and Jim Collins can quip back and they laugh together. Imagine that! Having such a good relationship with the people that you are actively sharing your with that they feel comfortable laughing with you about their spiritual journey.

I got the sense that Jim Collins knew exactly where Bill Hybels stood and Bill Hybels knew where Jim Collins stood, and they were okay with that. At any time they could have a conversation about spiritual things and that would be okay, or not and that would be okay too. They respected each other and it showed.

I wonder if the people with whom I'm trying to share my faith see me in the same way? I wonder if they'd be comfortable enough with me that neither of us would have to worry about offending each other if the conversation turned spiritual or felt that we should avoid such topics in order to avoid embarrassing silences or awkward changes of direction. I wonder.

I wonder if I love them enough to laugh with them and tell them to drive carefully or look after themselves because heaven is going to be sadder place if they're not their with me. I wonder if I have the patience to wait for God to do his work and the faith to trust that he loves them more than I can ever love them and that he doesn't want them to miss out on eternity with him either.

No comments: