Friday, September 08, 2006

A timely reminder

God gave me a timely reminder a couple of days ago. I don't see myself as a particularly busy person, although others would probably disagree. In common with many church leaders I know, I swing between feeling as if I'm running around playing catch-up all the time, and feeling as if I'm too lazy for words. Often there is something to be sorted out, something to be organised, someone wanting a clearer plan or outline for the next month, year or more. As far as I can tell, I'm wired up for conversation when it comes to ideas and plans etc. I really enjoy sitting down with another person and throwing ideas around, bouncing backwards and forwards with stuff. I seem to function best as another person asks me questions and I respond.

Anyway this sometimes leads to lots of starts and not as many completions. But that's okay if others around me are the finisher types. On the other hand, I can't abdicate my responsibility to see things through.

Well, here's where God spoke earlier this week. If you're like me then maybe it's a timely reminder for you too.

As Paul wrote to the church at Corinth about the collection they were making for the church in Jerusalem he said this:

I suggest that you finish what you started a year ago, for you were the first to propose this idea, and you were the first to begin doing something about it. Now you should carry this project through to completion just as enthusiastically as you began it. (2Cor.8:10-11)

No comments: