Friday, July 07, 2006

A Quiet Revolution

I've just finished reading Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell and started on The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. Both these books were recommended to me by my friend Andy White, to whom I'm very grateful for two good reads.

In the early pages of Irresistible Revolution I read this:

There are those of us who, rather than simply reject pop evangelicalism, want to spread another kind of Christianity, a faith that has as much to say about this world as it does the next. New prophets are rising up who try to change the future not just predict it. There is a movement bubbling up that goes beyond cynicism and celebrates a new way of living, a generation that stops complaining about the church it sees and becomes the church it dreams of.

Irresistible Revolution p24

I love the idea of becoming the church we dream of rather than complaining about the church we are. If it's time for a change, then it's time we changed, it's time we made the changes.

Over the last few years I've been deeply moved by the sense of vision and commitment our predecessors had when they built the church in which we currently worship. Without their commitment and courage, we wouldn't have a church over which to get frustrated. We owe them a lot. We owe them the drive, committment and passion to leave a legacy for future generations. They left us a building and a history. It may be time that leaving a building is less important, but a history will always be significant.

I've listened to the cynics who reject the church (not just here but all over the country) and I remember the words of the song Jesus loves the church. Imperfect as it might be I want to be someone who makes a difference. I want to part of a generation that stops complaining and start becoming the church of God's dreams.

2 comments:

Phil St said...

Richard, great post, amen to all that, I'm about to order Shane's book soon and look forward to reading it. Oh and love the title of the post!! God deliver us from moaners!!

Richard said...

Thanks to both Phil and Jeff for their comments. I know what Jeff means about Velvet Elvis, but overall I enjoyed the challenge. If I can be so bold, there are times when "post-modern" theology veers towards leaving too much room for inclusion. After all the Bible does talk about the narrow path. I like the perspective that the concept of journey bring to the debate.
On the subject of pessimist or optimist according to Chesterton, it seems to me that he's closer to defining cynics and tribalists more than pessimists and optimists. I guess, to be effective, we need a bit of both. In education here in the UK they talk about being a critcal friend, someone who cares deeply enough to offer a positive critque, not just a list of what is wrong. When it comes to the church, there is much that is unhelpful, but a critique that offers no alternatives is just the cynics way out, or it seems that way to me.
I think there's a bit in Revolution that talks about wisdom, love and something else. I'll look it up and post it if it's relevant.