Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday 15th Aug, 2014

It's been quite a week. The tragic loss of Robin Williams sadly produced some negative comments, but there were also many positive things said. That his daughter has chosen to close her Twitter account reminds us there are plenty of mindless, thoughtless people who fail utterly to understand the nature of the emotional and mental turmoil he was undoubtedly experiencing.

For me, it's been a very positive week, with several highlights. Several months ago I proposed the idea of a sports week for children at our local recreation ground. I wasn't sure we were going to be able to organise it, and we definitely needed lots of help with admin and just knowing what to do to put something like this together. Well, the week arrived and on Monday we had our first day. We haven't been packed out, but all the kids seem to have had a good time as we've explored football, cricket, bowls and tennis. With all the talk of children staying indoors and playing computer games all day, it's been nice to see a few running, jumping and generally having a good time in the great outdoors.

On Thursday I got to do some tennis coaching, and realised how much fun that can be and actually how much I really enjoy doing it. We had some great help from a local tennis club, but it turned out that I was the only one with any coaching qualification. So I ended up running one group with the help of another adult and we had a lot of fun.

On Tuesday I started work as the therapist for a rugby club. It's lower league level stuff and really only expenses for pay, but it's really good to be putting my skills to use. I guess that's what's been so good about this week, that I've been able to do things I like doing and things that I'm actually good at doing! That also includes leading a couple of funerals, winning a tennis match and "networking", as they say, with various people with job titles at the local council that I can't remember let alone understand what they are!

So I'm ending the week feeling quite positive. It's not that often that I get to be so busy doing such a wide range of things I love to do. Saturday will be my first day on the side of the pitch ready to run on and administer the cold spray and vaseline. That of course is after leading the adult tennis group we've started in the village.

Maybe one day I'll actually make a living from it all.

No comments: