Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Nativity on the BBC

Did anyone catch the first episode of the Nativity on BBC1 last night? If you didn't, you might want to catch up with it via iPlayer. I rather enjoyed it. I'm sure there will be a few angry voices, and maybe it won't all be great. But it was rather a good start. I liked the exploration of the back story, the reflection on what might have been happening.

My favourite line was when Mary's mother looked at Joseph and said simply, "At least he's got teeth."

Beyond that, the thoughtful portrayal of the wise men and the non-ethereal look to the angel were all good. I've often remarked at church that this is a truly ordinary group of people in very ordinary surroundings made extraordinary by the events that unfold.

I'm looking forward to part two tonight.

No comments: