Sunday, April 29, 2007

Doing an ordinary thing

Tomorrow I'll be doing an ordinary thing. It's not a big thing, just a simple thing. Tomorrow I'll give someone the help they need to get a job done. It will cost me some time, it will cost me some effort. I'll have to make conversation with someone I don't know that well, but I hope I'll know a little better by the end of our trip.

I could spend my day doing extraordinary things. I could do some big things. I could, but I won't because often I find God in the small things.

I'd love to do some big things. I'd love to tell you stories of how God has used me to influence this person and that person. I'd love to tell you all about the people who have come to faith because of the amazing ministry I have, but I won't. I can't. Mine is not a ministry like that.

Mine is a ministry of small things. I don't minimise what I do, after all I'm in the business of doing things that have eternal significance. There are people wandering around this small green/blue planet who are living lives closer to God, not because of me, but because of something God spoke into their lives through me.

This is not a delusion of grandeur, it's what I do, it's what God does through me, and I like being used by God. It's just I'm a minster of small things, and I don't despise the day of small things because maybe a big day is coming. And if it's not, then I'd be wasting my time waiting around for it and I'd be missing out on such a lot of opportunities to do something significant for the kingdom when I do a small thing in a small way at a small cost.

So here's to the small things.Here's to my little road trip tomorrow.

You never know, I might be reporting something big because of it!

1 comment:

Wiggy said...

Thanks for this post Richard.

I totally agree - it doesn't mean the big things aren't great things - just means the small things are just as worthy.

And its often the case that the small things are easily ignored, easily looked over, and easily forgotten, delayed or refused.

I thank God that in his creation of the bnig things - the mass of rolling oceans, towering mountains, expanse of sky and an unending universe.....he did a small thing but in is eyes was just as important - he made you & me.