Thursday, December 21, 2006

The blood that cries a better word (2)

graced said...
  • hi, i agree. I am wondering if you can answer a question for me? If Jesus' sacrifice was enough to redeem lost sinners who accept that sacrifice, why then does Jesus need to be forever interceding on our behalf to the Father?

There's two things at work here as I understand it. first there is the work of the cross, the work of redemption through Christ's sacrifice on our behalf. This is the finished work of atonement. Second, there is the ongoing intercessory work of Jesus. This is neither redemptive nor atoning, it's part of what the writer to the Hebrews describes as his (Jesus) priestly function. It doesn't necessarily mean that Jesus is constantly praying for us, but that he represents us before God.

I guess if you take the courtroom image beloved by evangelicals, then the picture is that of Jesus providing a constant reminder to the Father of what he has done for us on the cross. Where we would expect judgement we receive mercy and grace because Jesus, by his presence, intercedes for us.

I'm sure there are other images at work, but I hope this helps.

No comments: