Thursday, April 20, 2006

The legacy of Jim Elliot

Yesterday, on the train home from Paris (I thought I'd just drop that in!!) I finished reading The Shadow of the Almighty. So how do I feel now I've read the book?

The first thing to say is that in all honesty there were parts of the book that were quite tedious to read. I think that's because I mostly expected the book to be about Jim Elliot's life in Ecuador and all the excitement and adventure of his albeit short missionary life. In fact the book is far more about God's work of preparation of Jim (over two thirds of the book is pre-Ecuador) for that comparatively short-lived experience. Perhaps the biggest challenge of the book is the way it squares up to the reality of preparation. Too much of my time, perhaps too much of most Christian's time, is spent treading water, waiting for something to happen, instead of preparing for God's purposes to be worked out in our lives.

I remember thinking at University that when I got a job, I'd develop a routine and I'd have regular devotional time with God and regular study time too. When I was working, I thought this would become a reality when I got to Bible College. And when I was at college I thought that it would happen when I got into ministry. Then, I thought, the day will be mine to structure around my relationship with God and his ministry through me. (Now I'm in ministry and have been for 15 years. If I can't work it out now, it will have to wait for retirement!)

I was wrong of course. The slow day, the quiet day never came, and doesn't look like coming any time soon. Over all these years I've learnt one simple truth. Unless I choose to do it, it doesn't get done. Unless I timetable study and prayer, I don't study and I don't pray. Even when I do, it's never easy. I'm tired and concerned about many things. Focusing on God is never easy. If someone as committed as Jim Elliot found it tough, why do I think it should be any easier for me?

What I've learnt from Jim Elliot, is that I'm not alone. Perhaps more importantly, I've also been reminded that my feelings are not the measure by which I test these things either. In a paraphrase of Jim Elliot: It's just a matter of focused obedience. God's will in my life. It's an echo of the pattern of prayer Jesus taught his disciples:

"Your will be done..."

Jim Elliot was no missionary hero, he was just an obedient follower of Jesus Christ, but it didn't happen overnight.

No comments: