Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Battered old fruit wagon

Being new to this whole model-making malarky I've been trying out various kits and model making processes.

In the last post I talked about card kits, self build and 3D printed. This one is a laser cut kit made from both card and 3mm thick MDF. It's very straightforward to build and is just the wagon. I decided to make it a repurposed wagon, doubling as a workshop or stores-I haven't decided which just yet.

The card panels lack definition and the lines for the doors have all but disappeared under the paint. I don't have a steady enough hand to pick them out with a fine brush, but I might be able to use a pencil the create some false shadows and give the side panels a bit more depth. If I try that I'll apply a fixing coat to seal the finish.

The kit is just the body of the wagon. If you wanted to run it you would need wheels etc for it. Any extras like the vents (3D printed from my own design) or the chimney (again a 3D print) have to sourced for elsewhere.

I'd certainly consider using one of these again, but at the moment I think to Metcalf kits are the best I've tried. Then again they are for buildings so comparing a wagon model to them isn't quite fair.

No comments: