Friday, April 16, 2010

Phil. 3:20

our citizenship is in heaven

I like this perspective. It reminds me that what I see is what is in front of me, but it's not necessarily the same view as it is from heaven. In Ephesians Paul talks about our being seated with him in heavenly places as he talks about the risen Jesus. It changes your perspective when you try to view things from a heavenly rather than a earthy perspective.

For example, you stop thinking about the short term 5, 10 or 50 year plan and start to think about eternity. You stop expecting God to fix everything now because you know you've got a long way to go. The focus of what is urgent and what is not shifts too. Suddenly you realise that there is much to be done this side of heaven.

But being a citizen of heaven also makes us an ambassador of heaven. We represent the king of kings to the world. We are expected to live like citizens if we are citizens. It's not easy I know. Take for instance the person who offered me their car park ticket because there was still an hour left on it. They were most confused when I said no thank you. It may be a small thing, but we all know that those tickets say "Not transferable" on them. We justify accepting one because we think we're not harming anyone, but in truth we simply ought not to do it. If the law forbids it why would we think it's not dishonouring to God to take it? As citizens of heaven we are expected to act with honour and in righteousness. You get the point.

There are so many things to consider, the list I think is probably quite long. I've chosen to hide one friend's status on a social networking site because their language has become offensive and dishonouring of God. They are not a good ambassador at the moment.

My most regular question is: How will this action honour or dishonour God. And then I choose. I often fail, but I have no excuse.

How are you living as a citizen of heaven? Does you language, you attitude, your lifestyle make heaven a place others would want to spend eternity?

No comments: