Friday, June 12, 2009

Woodturning project 3

This is my final piece from the course.

It was meant to be an ornamental shaving bowl for soap. I'm not sure it will get used for that purpose, but it certainly was interesting to make.

The body and the lid are formed from two pieces of maple (I think it's maple), the body first. That's left in the chuck and the lid is turned from a separate piece of wood.

Very carefully a rebate is formed in the lid.

 The body is pushed into the lid as a tight fit and seated in the bottom of the rebate.

The whole thing is then put back in the lathe and the outside of the lid is shaped.

It has a oil finish.

So that's it. Two days, three pieces and a whole lot of fun.

If we had hamsters they would have enough bedding for a decade. 

Will I get a lathe? I think I might, I will need to talk nicely to the senior income earner. Maybe I can sell a few bowls, do you think that will persuade her it's a good idea? 

No comments: