Friday, April 17, 2009

Learning to shave (all over again)

Here's the thing. In a moment of sheer madness I found myself asking the barber a rather risky question. I've built up quite a good relationship with the good chaps at the barber shop over the years, so I thought I could ask my question without generating too much laughter. You see, I'm a beard man. If you look closely at my profile photograph you can see it although the years are showing in its greyness, even whiteness these days. At 52 (actually 51 and a half) I thought it was beginning to look untidy too much of the time and wondered if it was time to take the plunge towards removing it. 

And so it was that I asked my question. As he came towards the end of the haircut I said, "If I were to try a goatee rather than the full beard, where would I start to shape it?" We talked a little and then he said, "I'll do it for you if you want." In a moment of weakness, and strange curiosity, I said, "Okay." Out came the clippers and off came much of the beard. 

Now you need to know that I first grew my beard at the tender age of 19. I never was much good at shaving and there was no one around to teach me. Surprisingly I only recently discovered that most men stumble into shaving rather like falling through a secret doorway. Few fathers take the time to teach their sons how to shave. It's as if shaving is something you ought just to know how to do instinctively. It isn't. 

My best ever shave was done for me by a professional. The whole experience was very relaxing and incredibly smooth. It didn't last long. Almost immediately I began to grow the beard again.

During the 32 years of being bearded, I've shaved for about 6 weeks in total. This give me a problem. Firstly, I really don't know how to do it properly, secondly I've no idea what to buy and thirdly, my skin just isn't used to it at all. In fact it's rather sensitive, which make me think that my current shaving period will be fairly short-lived too.

Actually this makes me wonder about discipleship too. Do we stumble into that? Do we assume that this too is something that we will instinctively get a hold of if we've truly come to faith? Do we look to the internet for information? Where are the people who can guide us, teach us the disciplines of a good walk with Jesus?

Anyway, back to shaving. Having decided to give it a go I needed re-equipping for the task. Off to Tescos. Tell me, exactly how many blades do you actually need to shave with these days! Is it one, two, three, four or even five? Keeping it simple I chose one of the least multi-bladed tools, a soap stick and brush and looked in vain for a styptic pencil (this latter item was something I knew I would need!)

First discovery, shaping a goatee with a disposable razor is not easy. I needed a cut-throat! Amazon surprisingly sell one with a replaceable blade, so I ordered one and gave it a try. Now it's a bit of a skill to use one of these weapons, but after the first, rather disastrous attempt, I seem to be getting better. It's still a bit scary and the styptic is now on order along with a good old-fashioned safety razor.

As you can see from the photograph, my neck is pretty tender. What's interesting is that it is sore where the beard doesn't grow that much anyway. It's probably always been like it, it just shows up more now I've shaved it!

With a wedding to do in a few weeks, I can't stop shaving just yet, so I'll give it a month. Perhaps my skin will settle down and all the lotions and balms will soothe away the redness. Perseverance is the key!

And that too is fundamental to good discipleship.

I never knew learning to shave would have so much in common with learning to be a full devoted follower of Jesus!

No comments: