Sunday, May 11, 2008

Conversational Evangelism

Has anyone come across this term? It entered my vocabulary recently when I got an email with information about a Conversational Evangelism conference. I've done a little digging and found a website that talks about it and a few blogs that have some tenuous connections, but little else so far.

It seems to be a term used to describe having non-programmed conversations with unchurched people in which they discover or uncover truth for themselves. It sounds quite a lot like the sort of things Garry Poole talks about in his book about Seeker Small Groups but on a one-to-one basis rather than in a group setting.

If anyone is going to the conference, I'd love some feedback about it.

1 comment:

Evangelism Coach said...

I like your phrase "unscripted conversation."

I think that's the beauty of this approach. It's not a sales pitch, nor a script that a telemarketer uses.

The challenge of the approach however, is for the Christian to be familiar with lots of different approaches to sharing your faith, and for the Christian to practice respect for the other person.

The temptation is to become a fire hydrant of information, make the conversation one way (my agenda), and to pressure a person to make a decision there on the spot.

I'm not able to go to the conference myself.

EvangelismCoach
EvangelismCoach.org