Saturday, April 04, 2020

Making an oil storage tank for the model railway

I'm building a small layout that I hope I'll be able to put in the car and take on holiday for my grandsons to have some fun shunting wagons. The layout is an industrial type of scene and I've done some posts about building arches etc for it.

I decided I'd have a go a making a diesel storage tank and maybe set up some sort of fuelling rig. I could buy a kit but I have a 3D printer and this seemed like a reasonable project to tackle with it.

The first step is design and I used Tinkercad for that. I'd love to get to grips with its big brother Fusion 360, but I'm struggling to get my head around it. So here's the basic design idea I developed.

I then decided to change the domes for something that looked like a flange with bolts. ! also decided to add domed ends to the tank because I thought that would look better than just flat ends.

Now I could print it in one go as it is, and I might still give that a go. But there would be a lot of waste material building a support structure under the tank. So I decided to break it down into individual parts and print the components instead. It took a bit of sorting out and I try wisely did the work on a copy of the design and not the original in case I messed it all up! Here's the component parts design.

You can see the new flanges. There are also a couple of tubes that were meant to go in holes in the top of the cylinder to raise the flanges up but they turned out to be too long or the holes weren't deep enough!

This design file then needs to be passed through a piece of software to prepare it for the printer and away we go. It took 3 or 4 hours to print and then it was a matter of assembling the parts after trimming off the waste PLA from the printing process.

This is what out looked like after assembly and then when it has been primed and painted. I still need to decided where on the layout it will go and then whether to build some sort of platform for it or maybe a wall around. And it need some pipes or other equipment to give it a bit more life.

The paints used were a standard primer (bought from Halfords)  and some matt black Humbrol paint, probably some sort of enamel, but I'm not quite sure.

No comments: