Tuesday, January 15, 2013

When I grow up...

If, at the age of 5 or 6, some had asked me what I wanted to be or do when I grew up, I'm not sure what I would have told them. I can't even remember if I actually had any ambitions at that age. If I had any ambitions it was probably to do with becoming a fireman or policeman or something similar.

As I grew up I became a little more academic and the pressure was on to choose something more challenging, but even through senior school I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to do beyond going to university. In many ways my first degree was more something to do because it was expected of me than a positive choice on my part. I did pick the course because I liked the outline. Actually it was quite strange. Initially I'd applied to do biology but as I did my A Levels I became more interested in chemistry. At my interview one of the lecturers mentioned a course in chemistry and environmental science that sounded perfect and I knew that's what I wanted to do but didn't know how to go about changing course. Anyway, I ended up on the course, so it worked out okay.

Throughout all of this two things remained true. First, I still had no idea what I wanted to do and second I could never have imagined that I would end up doing all the things I have done. If, even at university, you'd have told me that I would work in research, retrain twice and embark on launching myself into self-employment in my fifties, I would have thought you mad.

But here I sit, writing a case study, planning exams and thinking about life as a therapist. Part of me wishes I'd done this when I was a lot younger, but sports therapy wasn't on the agenda in the 70's and no one suggested becoming a physiotherapist to me at that time, so there's little point looking back and wondering.

Perhaps the motto for my life should be simply to keep exploring. Maybe I destined not to "grow up" and settle into one career. Maybe I'm just a maverick who actually needs to work for himself. I don't know. I'll find out. At least if you need an independent, ordained Christian minister who has worked in research, is a qualified counsellor, certified personal fitness trainer, first aider and soon to be sports and remedial massage therapist you will know who to call!

No comments: