Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Old Testament history reading plan

Over the years I've developed a range of reading plans to help me consistently read my bible, but also to help others to. This last couple of years I've been working on a three year plan which takes you through the New Testament in a year, then the Old Testament history in the second year and then the wisdom and prophetic books in the third year. Important as it is, I haven't included Leviticus in the plan!

I've just finished setting out the final quarter of the Old Testament history plan, and Anne and I have been going through it this year. Roughly speaking it takes in 33 verses a day and finishes with a day to spare, so I've not put a reading in for Christmas day!

To make it easier to plan, I worked out the date each book needed to finish in order to get through everything in the year. That was quite helpful because there were times when I needed to catch up a day, which meant going back through the readings and making some longer. The length of the readings actually vary quite a lot. There are very chapter that are exactly 33 verses long, and sometimes the division come at unhelpful moments on the narrative.

I'll see if I can post a link to a pdf version of the draft schedule in case anyone is interested in trying it out next year.

No comments: